abbrechen
Suchergebnisse werden angezeigt für 
Anzeigen  nur  | Stattdessen suchen nach 
Meintest du: 

Q&A Viessmann API

Dear developer and smart home enthusiasts,

today, we want to contact you to talk with you about the recent activities that are taking place concerning the interface of the heating systems, also known as the Viessmann API. As most of you might have already received our Email in which we informed you about the upcoming changes concerning the use of the API, we would like to open this thread to continue the discussion openly and transparent with you and pick up on the discussions in this thread. Here is again a brief summary of the main points from our message:

> As Viessmann, it’s in our responsibility to provide our users with reliant and safe products, including features and services around those products

> We are impressed to see your interest in connecting and interacting with your heating system and that you found a solution for your specific use case without a description or support from our side

> However, it challenges us to check and channel the method and frequency of requests to our IoT Services in order to keep those stable and available for all our users

> What is even more important is that for these solutions, we as Viessmann currently cannot guarantee a safe and reliant operation of your heating system

This has the following steps that we have to take:

> In order to keep operation through our API safe and still give you the chance to interact with your system, we limit the use for all applications by setting a threshold for the requests. The limit is set for both a larger (e.g. daily) and a smaller (<15 mins) time scale. Reaching the limit will prevent you to execute any further requests with your account in the specific time frame. So please make sure to adapt the frequency of the requests of your current solution to avoid reaching the limitation.

> We are heavily working on providing a solution for all users that is 1) approved & safe to use, 2) properly explained and 3) gives you the functions and information you need for your specific use case. At the same time, this will also be moment when the solution is in place where we cannot allow any other ways of accessing our API. To make things clear: Your already built and currently used functions will still be able to use, it’s only that you will need a new API client provided through the Portal that can be self-managed by the user himself.

We also received a lot of questions via Mail and also in this forum, which we are going to answer for everyone individually. We also saw that the most common question among the responses was the demand for a local API. This is a reasonable request and we appreciate and take the demand very seriously. However, we will not able to provide you a solution for this in the near future. This feature (as all other features and requests by users) are permanently discussed and evaluated and brought together with all other strategic decisions that Viessmann is taking.

I again would like to encourage everyone to participate in the development and make sure to sign in here to get an early access to the Developer Portal. Also, we are hoping to have a constructive discussion here in this thread. We are really looking forward to work jointly together with you on ideas and co-create future solutions!

P.S.
As stated in the previous thread and in certain Emails we received, we are aware that some users might expect a communication in german from us, as Viessmann is of course a company with German heritage. However, since we are providing climate solutions all over the world and especially programming / APIs is natively described in english, there is no other option than communicating in english first. This has already been greatly explained by @thetrueavatar in the previous thread.

All the best!

Michael Hanna

Viessmann Developer Portal

EDIT:

In order to support you more on adjusting your current solutions according to the current limitation, here is how the threshold works:

We have a rate limit with sliding window. Whenever the first request arrives, we open a time window and count all request in that window. If the number of requests reach the limitation, we block all incoming user requests until the time window ends. Then, with the next user request, a new time window opens.
Currently, we have the following limits active:
120 calls for a time window of 10 minutes
1450 calls for a time window of 24 hours
Please take note that we are taking the right to adjust the limits if seen necessary. Information about adjustment of the threshold will be given with a reasonable amount of time in advance for all affected user.

EDIT2:

For all who experienced a ban after the limitation time frame with a few number of API requests: Our team fixed an issue with the limitation, which is taking effect since today and should solve this problem. We are still analyzing the behavior, but for now it looks ok.

172 ANTWORTEN 172

For your workaround do you have to scan the qr code for the registration to fail ?

Dear Michael,

most of my arguments have been written above already, therefore I’ll restrict myself to a short version

Dislike section:

• Approach of cutting of service first, then providing an alternative
  • My data – my control over this data
  • Cloud-only solution

Demand section:

• Need to read data (monitoring, plotting, short cycles < 1 min. if wanted)
  • Need to control heating (Home Automation, access to major functions like party mode etc.)
  • Local solution without Internet, Cloud

Regards
Peter

Not sure if that was needed but when I scanned the QR code the device registration failed.

@adorobis
Are you using an own implementation or the code provided by @thetrueavatar?

hum still beeing banned even after trying this trick..

@MichaelHanna
This is really problematic as we can't diagnose the problem easily because the ban is soooo long for a single attempt.
Could you just suspend this filter so dev can check what's wrong in an efficient way ?

@thetrueavatar
I use ViCare on Android, Vitoguide in Browser and your interface (many thanks for it - it's just fun to use it!) connected to openHAB.
Vitoguide is not very popular here, I think. Did you try it?
Maybe just go to https://vitoguide.viessmann.com/ activate there the same account you use in ViCare.
I have expierenced that Votoguide worked all the time while ViCare and your interface was blocked....
I think you will be able to trace Vitoguide the same as ViCare in your network.

@Zbig teck toi for sharing about vitoguide. I wasn't aware of this. I confirm I have access tomy own installation. I even found the interface is way better than the vicare application. But why do they provide 2 ways of exposing data?

At least we have now some Arts in our graphs - Cubism (despite yellow and cyan lines):

Cubism.png

@thetrueavatar your assumption from above (calls counted based on "credentials") is not correct. There was indeed an issue within the limitation, which I expect we will be having fixed tomorrow. However, I cannot say whether this is causing the problem for your implementation or not. So please make sure that your number of API calls are not exceeding the limitation once this is fixed.
Best,
Michael

It was indeed only a guess and only dev from viessmann have access to log and are able to diagnose the problem. It's a pretty good news if you have found something that could fix the problem. How about adding this in your main post ?

@thetrueavatar once this is approved I am happy to do this 🙂
But again, don't let your number of API calls exceed the limitation. There is not much we can do for you in this case.

I have shut down my client for 2 days... Today I have been banned with a single request 😃

@JueBag I'm using the Home Assistant integration, more details can be found here: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/vicare/

Something changed, either Viessmann really did something on the issue or the "trick" posted by @adorobis worked (unregistered on a device and logged back in).
Now I am back online with my ViCare. After that I tried the code from @thetrueavatar (reduced to calling only two values every 5 minutes) and it is working (keeping fingers crossed).
It would be nice to know if Viessmann really did a change!

@JueBag our team fixed an issue with the limitation, which is taking effect since today. We are still analyzing the behavior, but for now it looks ok.
Please note that unregistering is not necessary!! And do not only reduce the calling rate, please also check the sum of your requests in the limitation time period.
I will also add this in my initial post.
@thetrueavatar @Croydon @adorobis

Best,
Michael

Thanks for update, for me it works since yesterday all ok. So now waiting for the Developer Portal and the possibilities it will open. When can we expect this?
@MichaelHanna

Until now it seems fine @MichaelHanna. I have set polling time to 3 minutes and the connection seems to be still working. I'll watch it for the next days if the setting of values frequently might hit the rate limit, but it does not seem so.

Hello @MichaelHanna
Yesterday afternoon, I was banned after just a request.
Thank you for the correction.

After 2 bans of 24 hours due to the exceeding of the threshold per day, I would like to know the duration of the ban when we exceed the limit of 120 calls per 10 minutes?
If the ban is also 24 hours, is it possible to obtain the status of the number of requests for the 2 thresholds in the result of every request?
As well as the 2 thresholds especially if you vary them.

My vicare app is also functioning again. Will activate my openhab with the trueavatar api again this evening. (At a lower freq )

@jpty
IMHO the 24 hr limit would ban for 24 hrs, the 10 min limit for 10 min.

As far as I understood the ban is not for 24h but for 24h starting from the first call.
So let's say you made 1 call at 18:00 and 1449 at 19:00, the ban should last until 18:00 next day.

Thank you for explaining @Croydon 🙂 This behavior is valid for any active threshold, respectively.

@JueBag
I also hope that the ban will be 10 minutes

@Croydon
When I was banned yesterday at 17:44, the ban was till 17:44 today. ( limitReset field in the json data )

@jpty I guess that was because of the bug in the system that MichaelHanna mentioned.
Top-Lösungsautoren